The Pennsylvania Association of Orthodontists was formed in 1966 by a group of Pennsylvania Orthodontists. It is a component of the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) which is the oldest and largest dental specialty organization in North America. The AAO was started in 1900 in St. Louis, MO and held its first meeting in 1901.
The Pennsylvania Association of Orthodontists represents the common interests of its members in Pennsylvania.
- The purpose of this association is to be the pre-eminent orthodontic organization in Pennsylvania.
- To advance the art and science of orthodontics in Pennsylvania.
- To encourage and sponsor research to advance the art and science of orthodontics in Pennsylvania.
- To educate the Pennsylvania public about the benefits of orthodontic treatment and what distinguishes this specialty from others.
- To provide advocacy and services to promote the successful practice of orthodontics with the highest standards of excellence in orthodontic practices.
- To make significant contributions to the health of the public.
- To develop leaders to represent the Pennsylvania orthodontic community at the regional, national and international levels.